Tuesday, November 13, 2007

An Evening In


So, Michael and I decided to take an evening in tonight. We usually head over to RUF at Stanford for some awesome teaching from the book of John. We like to pretend that we're still college students actually, and, fortunately, we blend right in with the graduate students. Tonight, though, we decided not to go because I was feeling thoughtful and wanted to stay home and read and write for a bit. So here I am, writing a bit. :)
This picture on the left is me with my old roomates, Jenny and Daphne. It was taken during the first week of October 2007 when I was in Chicago for an International Entrepreneurship conference put on by my old place of employment. It was a fantastic conference, and an added bonus that I got to reconnect with not only my old roommate, Jenny, but also Christine and my one and only sister, Alli. Needless to say we had a blast. We visited Jenny's new office in downtown Chicago, met some of her colleagues, and stayed at her new condo. Jenny is now working for a law firm called Jenner & Block in Chicago. Christine, meanwhile, is taking on her first year of law school after graduating with a Master in Social Work with me. She's doing great and also now has her own place in Chicago. My sister drove up from Bloomington to see me and to have an early celebration of her 21st birthday! Here's another picture of the rest of us, with Daphne of course. Oh I wish they lived out here too.Soon after, we had a good friend visit us in the San Francisco Bay Area. None other than our friend from University of Illinois, Dwayne Hagerman came out to interview with Google. We had a good time checking out the Monterey Bay Aquarium first. We also headed up to San Francisco to drive up some crraazy hills in the city, go over the Golden Gate Bridge, enjoy some sourdough bread, and take advantage of the opportunity to eat dinner in a Jazz club in downtown San Fran. It was sweet! All of these activities were also firsts for Michael and me too! On the right is a cool picture of some of the many jelly fish we saw at the aquarium. I'm including another picture from this same trip that Dwayne took, practicing his photo-framing skills, of me and Michael after we crossed the Golden Gate.

Overall, things have been going so well for us out here on this big adventure out West. I obviously miss friends and family a lot, but we're slowly but surely learning to make new friends while keeping the old. Or so the old Girl Scout song goes, I think.

In just about a week, we'll see the Bloems for the inaugural Thanksgiving in LA., and then a month after that we'll be back in Illinois for some serious Christmas celebrations. Thank you for all your prayers and support as we learn about the joys and challenges of living in a new place, getting settled into new jobs, and adapting comfortably to married life together. I'll try to continue to keep you all updated as we go on little new adventures out here! Signing off for now...
To God be the glory--Sarah and Michael

1 comment:

Russ and Jackie said...

I love reading your blog. It makes me thankful that for both of you and that God brought you together.